Wednesday, January 12, 2005

The Big Purse Fetish Dispute

My husband has told me, that I have a pocket book fetish. Now I do not think this is true at all. I like handbags, purses, mini bags, and let's not forget beaded evening bags......I even like tote bags. I will admit that I do have quite a few of each.

Now before we go any further, let me explain............
Way back and I mean way back when hubby and I were dating, cloth pocket books were in style. Now as anyone knows they do not last long, especially if you use one every day. One year for my birthday, he gave me a really nice leather bag. It was beautiful! (I actually still have it). He said that it was not worth buying cloth bags all the time as they never lasted and you might as well get leather, because it lasts forever. Now mind you hubby is the type of person that if you have one of something than you are set for life.

Well the thing with leather is it never wears out, so it does last forever!!!! I get bored with the same bag all the time, so I buy new ones and keep the old ones incase I want to use it again. Now as I said before hubby told me to buy only leather bags. Now this is not a cheap thing to do as a good leather bag can set you back a few, but that is what I did. I bought all kinds of them over the years. I have pink ones, orange ones, multi colored ones, black, blue, brown, gee whiz every color of the rainbow and beyond! Afterall you have to match your bag to your outfit or at least to the season.

Therefore, when the spare room became my dressing room and we had to put up shelves for all the accessories, of course he saw the handbag collection. His first statement was "How many do you have?" I answered "Not as many as it looks". He started to count, but by 75, I stopped him. We really did not need a complete inventory. I know what is there, but that did not satisfy him. I had to agree to "weed them out" as he had stated. Now that was a hard thing to do. How can you get rid of something you might need later! So he said he would help me. His first question was "Why did I need so many blue bags?" Well let me explain, there are all different kinds of blues(I was in a blue leather phase for a while), being a man he did not understand that at all. We all know men only see one shade of each color. Why, was the question of the day.

Well I did weed some of the bags out and send them to the local thrift shop. I just hope they all got good homes. Of course, new seasons have come and gone and new colors are out there since the whole "dressing room" thing happened. New ones have crept in and Hubby either has not noticed or has just given up. Either way, I am so glad he did not find the wallet collection!!!!

Just a quick foot note:
I am off to our local JC Penny store. They are having one heck of a sale and purses are being marked down as we speak. I have had my eye on this nice little pink leather number! So you see this so called fetish that he says I have, is really his fault.

No comments: